Wednesday, April 22, 2009

WHEN I MOVED TO CANADA

In 1993 I had the opportunity to move to Canada and I still remember when I landed and reached my sister's house, she asked me to convey my safe jounrney to my mother, I took the phone and called Mr. Ravindran first and told him I have reached safely and our first conversation was, he said to me Sriram, "Do not forget! Go tomorrow and register our Karate school.!" Which I did, registered Karate Speed Power International on the 23rd of July 1993 in the city of Guelph, the next day I landed in Canada. It was partnership between me and him.

Working full time in a factory, my first job, in the evening I used to go and teach karate for few students and worked very hard to develop the Karate class.

In 1995 I invited him to Canada and he asked me to pay for his ticket. I still remember walking in to TD bank and getting a loan for $ 2000 and paying for his flight ticket only to know latter that in India he had made all his students go and collect donations for the Chief Instructors trip to Canada. His entire stay was taken care by me, also took him on a Europe trip twice after then during his visits in 1998 and 2000.








In 1998 my student from Guelph went to India to attend the training camp there and get his black belt a promise he had made to himself 7 years ago.

THE TIMELINE THERE AFTER...

* In 2000 moved to Toronto and changed KSPI to Rajaguru Martial Arts academy.
* Eventually opened 7 centers in Canada, working and teaching 7 days a week in all of the centers.
* I marketed and promoted RMAA in Ontario through numerous demo and ads.
* In 2000 December I was in India and I got married to Vaishali (that itself is a Big story). He took 1 .5 lakh from Vaishali to organize the marriage and also took 1 lakh from me for our wedding where there was no priest and our parents were spectators.
* In 2004 incorporated RMAA with Mr. Ravindran and myself as the director of the company.
* In 2004 Mr. Ravindran comes again to canada the day my son was born on July 8th and I named my first son Raj after Rajaguru.
* In 2004, I also moved from a basement to a 2000 sq foot dojo well renovated and did a grand opening.
* In 2003 I started another company called Rajaguru granite and Tiles, again this company, I gave Mr. Ravindran 50 % share and directorship with zero investment from his side. The company was closed after I merged with gem granites.
* In 2005 I APPLIED FOR HIS WORK PERMIT TO CANADA AND GOT A 3 YEARS WORK PERMIT FOR HIM WHICH HE HAD UNTIL APRIL 2008 TO COME TO CANADA BEFORE HIS VISA EXPIRED.
* In 2006 I started to look at the opportunity to buy the property we were teaching Karate class, as my credit was not that good, the bank wanted my wife to be on the board and use her credit. hence I removed myself and appointed my wife as the director. So, Now Mr. Ravindran and my wife Vaishali are the directors of the company.
* In 2006 we ended up buying another unit 2500 sq foot in the same plaza, using all our line of credit and savings and also putting our house on lien to secure the property.
* This property was bought under a Ontario number limited company, again, I gave Mr. Ravindran 50% share in the company as well with Zero investment.
* IMPORTANT POINT TO NOTE; since 2006 all my students paid their fees through pre-authorized payment and no cash was accepted in the dojo to maintain proper account. (I will talk a bit more about this latter)
* I have all of the receipts from Bala Selvam Money Transfer, of the money I have sent him from Canada over the years, this does not take in to account the money I gave him India.

I did all this with out any expectation and purely to dedicate what every I did to the person who I respected more then my own life. My student Jeff will attest to this as I had this conversation with him when he moved to New Brunswick that to start the organization there also as Rajaguru Martial Arts Academy, the reason being we appreciate and dedicate the teacher who has been a part of our lives and he agreed to that.

In 2007 Mr. Ravindran called me and said that his student is in the US and starting Karate class there and told me to change the name from RMAA to International Shotakan Karate federation, I refused and said I started this class in honor of my Guru and I will not change it, he tried to convince me a lot but I refused to listen and said any one any where else can keep what ever name they want and this is my karate class and dedicated to him and I will allow any one to change it. I am saying all this to say my dedication and commitment to him and his organization.

No comments: